Friday, January 18, 2013

Style? What Style?

Sigh. I don't even know where to begin on this. I have no style. No hairstyle. No clothing style. No accessory style. I can look at a magazine or go to a store and know what looks cute and what's "in style", but for some reason I can never imitate it.

You know the college I went to? Yeah, the one with all the crazy rules and super strict dress code? Well I think one of the reasons I handled the legalism so well was because I loved the dress code. I didn't love their reasons for the dress code, but I loved what I was forced to wear. I have such a weird body that really the only thing that looks good on me is A-line skirts and A-line dresses. My legs used to be okay, but not after high school  So the dresses and the skirts to the knee rule worked perfectly for me. Besides I feel so feminine in flowy dresses. I had this one sundress that was just lovely. It was a spaghetti strap, white, A-line, sundress that I paired with a hot pink, 3-quarter sleeve cardigan, and huge sunglasses. I loved that outfit. Sadly it never made it home with me from college because it belonged to my sister.

Since I've been back in the land of the northwest, the land of sweatshirts, jeans, tennis shoes, and thick socks. I have had the worst time keeping in style. It's to cold to wear cute knee-length skirts and long, straight skirts look hideous on me.  When it does finally get warm enough to wear my PCC clothes, Luke thinks I look like a 12-year-old and I have to agree.

There is no point in this post. I'm just upset I can't find a single cute thing to wear that fits. Maybe it's because I'm pregnant and hitting the half-way point means the pounds start piling on. I've started working out my arms like crazy so that once the baby is born in June I can still wear some cute tank tops. Although that probably won't happen since having a baby also means a HUGE chest which a tank top would just accentuate.

Someday, someday I will have a style that my husband and kids can be proud of. That day just isn't today and tomorrow isn't looking so good either.

6 comments:

Kyle and Corina said...

This made me smile :) I have some encouraging things to say to you that I think you wouldn't expect! What I'll say on here is: be patient with yourself- you're carrying another precious human being around. Mothers need to be patient with themselves- and especially you, because I know that you work extra hard at fitness when you have the chance. (When you were in that kickboxing class, I just looked at you in absolute awwwwe) lol. I'll text you the rest!

- Corina

Annie said...

You always look cute, Kimi! And shine the joy of the Lord which is the best adornment there is!

Kimi said...

Gosh, this post is such a downer! I had some really funny examples about my style and hilarious things Luke has said, but I guess I was just to sleepy last night to remember them. Perspective always changes in the morning, and I woke up not a bit concerned about my wardrobe. After this baby is born though, I've got some cute outfits to wear again!

Cindy P said...

You. are. beautiful.
i mean it!
i also understand what you are saying.....having babies, especially close together makes a wardrobe closet like a revolving door.... it's really tough to stay stylish when everything (body shape/clothing sizes) change so much....then there's the reality of the budget..... ugggh! i never realized how complicated it would be...;)
but seriously, kimi- i was just noticing, again your style at the shower on thurs.! i love the bold colors you choose and your flare. <3
the way you described your shape, though, i bet you'd rock a maxi skirt, eh?
well anyway- what you have on the inside pales to what you are on the outside.... and that's what is truly important to you, your hubby, and your daughter....but you know that already...;) *hugs* to you for bravely walking the walk of motherhood and ALL those hardships with it!

Historian Anne said...

Kimi! I think you are always cutely dressed! I can imagine it is super frustrating though to go through pregnancy and chosing clothes. That is something I do not look forward to at all! Regardless, you are so pretty and you always have something stylish on.

Kelsey said...

This post is funny because I think you have such a classy style. You wear cute, bold colors and always have loads of jewelry to spice things up. You actually inspired me to start wearing jewelry more. And that white jacket I bought from Old Navy (the one I also get endless compliments on) Yup, totally copied you. =D