Friday, August 6, 2010

Our First Date (Part 1)

It's nearly been three years since our first date. Call me nostalgic, but I want to write it all down before I forget any part of it.

Excitedly I sat by the window. Waiting. Watching. I remember being thankful that there was a mirror in our china cabinet that stood next to the doorway. I would alternate looking out the window and glancing in the mirror just to make sure nothing was out of place. I gave my outfit that Kati had helped me pick out one last glance hoping it was suitable. My entire family was gathering in the living room so I did my best to act as nonchalant as possible. I heard Josiah whisper to Dad:

"You're letting her go out on a date? Since when do you do that?"

I had wondered the very same thing and to this day I have no idea why my Dad agreed to let me go. I do know it took some help from Kristi who was the one who actually knew Luke and his family. But still, it was so out of the ordinary to be allowed out on a date under the circumstance that none of us really knew this mysterious man. I was hit with the fact that my parents were showing a lot of faith and trust in me and there was no way I would disappoint them.

My heart did a tiny flip-flop as I saw headlights start down our driveway. I wasn't nervous. I honestly wasn't. I was purely excited. I was going on date with a person I had, had a crush on when I was fifteen. A person who thankfully didn't even remember me sitting next to him at DQ (I was very odd looking at age 15). This may sound shallow, but since I had no idea if this would be my first and only date with this man I was determined to savor and enjoy every single second of it no matter what the future held. I threw my Dad a pleading look and asked him if I could run outside to meet him rather than have him face all 9 of us at once. My Dad graciously agreed and out the door I flew. (Note: On our 2nd date Luke very politely requested that I do not meet him halfway. He said it was proper for a man to always speak with the father before taking the girl out.)

5 comments:

Kelsey said...

Ooh, is there gonna be a part two!? I love hearing about it. I think we were all surprised at dad for allowing that date. But thankfully he acted our of character that time =)

Kristi said...

Ah and I don't regret in the least making a respectful appeal to Dad! :D Praise God for the wisdom He gives for such a variety of situations. So happy for you both! I cracked up when you wrote about your 15 year old self sitting next to him at Dairy Queen :D

Historian Anne said...

I loved your p.s. section! Such a darling post. Love how Joey whispered that into your daddy's ear. So cute.

abigail said...

CUTE! I loved the P.S. part too!!!! :)

Only One Life said...

Great story Kimi....looking forward to part two!