Saturday, September 26, 2009

Brides First Dinner cont.

The hours crept by so, so slowly at work. I tried desperately to keep my mind on my tasks and not to daydream to much about my husband. I wanted nothing more than to race home, give him a big hug and immediately start making him dinner. I was a bit shocked at my enthusiasm. I have never really liked to cook. Baking is fun, but cooking dinner? That's just not for me. However, at this moment there was nothing that I wanted to do more than make my husband dinner. As soon as the clock hit 4:00 I raced home. Originally I was going to have to some grocery shopping, but Luke called at 3:00 and said he would do it for me (my hero).

I was greeted at my condo with a video camera in my face.

"Kimi, why don't you tell us why you're so excited."

"Um, because I'm cooking you dinner for the fist time, Luke, stop! You're making me nervous."

Luke put the video camera away and I headed for the kitchen. I pulled out my cookbook and flipped to the correct page. As I read through the recipes carefully one more time I realized that I need 12 potatoes, I had 6. Luke immediately jumped into his car and sped off to the grocery store again (again my hero).

While Luke was at the store I started making the meatloaf which was rather simple. The only problem was, was that Luke had unloaded all the groceries from our numerous shopping trips and I had no idea where anything was. Eventually I got all the ingredients together and dove into the recipes. When Luke walked through door with the missing potatoes I immediately switched over to the potato dish recipe. However, as I read over the recipes for about the 5th time I saw something new again. The potatoes were supposed to boil for 30 minutes and then they needed to be refrigerated overnight! What!? How did I miss that? And why did they need to be refrigerated overnight? (The reason was because the next day you are to grade them on a cheese grader and you can't do that if they are still boiling hot.) I improvised. As soon as the potatoes were finished boiling I stuck them all in the freezer while I finished the meatloaf and set the table and started the green beans.

Unfortunately the meatloaf wasn't as easy as I anticipated. I'm sure for most people it is, but I had problems like spilling the Worcestershire sauce all in the silverware drawer and dropping the meat on the floor ect. Eventually Luke just started following me around with a kitchen rag to clean up after me!

Two and a half hours later everything was ready. Luke blessed the food and I held my breath as he took the first bite.

"Hmmm, delicious Kimi! Wow!"

I breathed a huge sigh of relief and started eating as well. It was pretty good I thought to myself...even if I did forget to put in the oats that the recipe called for!

After dinner Luke cleared the table and did all the dishes (I love him). I am happy with the way everything turned out. It wasn't close to perfect by any means, but it was good and I have plenty of room for improvement! Now, I'm ready to plan my next meal! I'm thinking a curry dinner is in store!
Below are some out of order pictures...

For dessert we had leftover cupcakes and orange juice!
I think that is a happy face...


I love using my new dishes!






5 comments:

Balvanz said...

Kimi I LOVE YOU! That was such an awesome story. It sounded just like something that would happen to me. How cute. I'm glad you wrote it all down because you'll be able to look back on it and laugh together for years to come. :)

Stormgirl said...

What a fun story!! I am so glad things turned out and the food was good!! Kimi, you make me smile. I am so happy for you!! :)

Berji's domain said...

May you have many more opportunities (years and years together) to perfect your dinners!

Historian Anne said...

Aww how darling. I'm soo glad it worked out for you! Thats quite the tall order, meatloaf?! Its hard!

Corina said...

Aw, that's soo fun! Yay for your dinner turning out yummy!